|Fact! Huckleberries have never been successfully
domesticated. Knowing that you have to get out
into the wild to gather them makes them all the
more special and delicious.
1. the dark-blue, purple, or black edible berry of any of the various shrubs belonging to the genuses Gaylussacia and Vaccinium. A most tasty delicacy for blue-tongued bears and humans alike.
2. a shrub bearing such fruit.
3. as in “I’m your huckleberry”: old-timey smack-talking slang for both “I’m the man for the job” and “I’m the man who is about to hand your ass to you.”
4. a rube, bumpkin, or amateur.
5. a blue, bow-tie wearing Southern dawg.
6. a frequently-used excuse for late-summer tardiness while hiking trails in Montana. As in “sorry I’m late, there were huckleberries.”